What are the concerns about bandwidth and latency with Network applications?
Network applications must always be concerned with bandwidth and latency:
- The bandwidth available to the RTU will determine how fast the scan loop can be completed.
- The scan time will be effected by baud rate, protocol overhead, network loading, can contention for specific nodes.
- The number of Catalyst channels that are scanned also contributes significantly.
- The latency for a channel is a measure of how long it has been since the value for that data point has been updated.
- This latency is a function of the channel scan time, the response time of the remote node, and any occurrence of a communication glitch.
- You can use Alarmware to determine scan time.
- Just connect with Alarmware and select "Net Diagnostics -- Summary Reports" from the Diagnostics menu.
- The value will be shown in the report, located in the "Messages for RTU" window.