Will I be able to use the USB ports on my computer to connect with the Catalyst?
The Catalyst and Alarmware can adapt easily to using a USB port.
- First of all, you will need to get a "USB to Serial" adapter. (Available here: Model Number 707CAT-PC3, USB Computer Cable for Catalyst)
- Install the adapter per manufacturer's instructions.
- Next, attach the USB to serial adapter directly to the Catalyst cable.
Once the adapter is installed, it will have been assigned a COM port number. This is the COM port that you will select in Alarmware. If you are not sure which COM port was assigned to the adapter:
- Go to your Control Panel and click on the System icon.
- Go to the "Device Manager" and look up "Ports."
- The display should indicate which port was assigned to the adapter.
Note: Alarmware will allow you to select from a list of 16 serial COM ports in support of USB connections.
To make the COM port selection within Alarmware:
- Go to the Options Menu and select COM Port.
- When the COM Port settings dialog appears, make your COM port selection from the pull-down.
- Click OK and launch the Select RTU dialog.
- You should now be able to connect to the Catalyst via the new USB COM port!